From:
Alan Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2015 20:43:38 +0000
We are a state run museum and we had an admission fee for years. A couple of years ago they did away with the fees thinking that folks would put more in the donation box and that the net would be more. I don't have the numbers but it proved correct. In the past a patron paid $3.29 (that's what the cost was with tax), paid with a $5 bill and put the change in their pocket. When they came out they didn't put anything in the donation box because they had to pay to get in. Now they come out and throw the whole $5 bill in. The result has been more visitors actually seeing the museum AND a net increase in money coming in.