From:
John Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:25:36 -0500
If I recall correctly, after the enormous damage of Hurricane Hugo in
Charleston, someone made wall clocks out of whole slates--it required
drilling a small hole through the slate to allow for the post connecting
the hands to the works, but most roof slates should be able to withstand
that.  The Charleston clocks were labeled on the back--the one I have
includes the date of 1798 (if I recall correctly--it's at home).

John

John Pearce
James Monroe Museum
University of Mary Washington
Fredericksburg, VA

>>> Maggie Harrer <[log in to unmask]> 11/17/06 1:15 PM >>>
Dear All,
Our historic site's slate roof is being repaired and we are considering
using
some "retired" slate tiles from the roof for a fund raiser as historic

momentos.  We took them to someone to see if we could have them
engraved in some
way, but they are too brittle.
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas or had used Slate before as an
historic
gift/momento?
Maggie Harrer
WWC, Inc.