From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 01:56:45 -0800
I doubt that you will receive many real world responses to this query.

A fellow conservator told me of the afternoon when he, in company with the
conservators at the Museum of Modern Art walked around a painting by a
famous modern artist (with the famous modern artist) looking at the bits
of paint chipping off, and the artist said, "I didn't know it would do
that."

The Kinsey Sex Research Institute asked me whether or not the fecal and
semen stains should be removed from a set of donated leather underware.

It is much easier to respond to a question such as, "Should we clean up
this hammer from the lead mine?"  The answer is no.

The marks of usage, lead mine or bedroom, have become part of the
artifact.

When dealing with the work of living artists, contact the artist and ask
for their advice.

If the artist is dead, and the heirs/assigns are unavailable or
uninterested (unlikely....), the decision will be based upon an
administrative determination about the monetary value of the piece.

If enough money is involved, the reputation of the institution is
involved.  When that happens, the piece will be restored or buried
in a warehouse.

Been there; seen that; got the T-shirt.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab