Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 23:15:26 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> "Fred R. Reenstjerna"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 11:17:07 -0800
>From: "Fred R. Reenstjerna" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Labels for insect exhibits & dioramas

>In these log views, with lots of small specimens, labels on
>each one would obscure the view of the insects.  Are there any
>brilliant alternatives to a sketch-type illustration alongside
>the log with number codes showing which insects are where?  This
>would put the interpretive text in blocks, so visitors could
>look back & forth between the text & the log view.

>Fred R. Reenstjerna
>Research Librarian
>Douglas County Museum of History and Natural History
>ROSEBURG, OR USA  97470

Indiana State Musem (at 202 North Alabama, Indianapolis IN 46204) has
"natural" exhibits with a 6 sided "cylinder" that turned.  Trees where
on one side; flowers on another side; animals on another; and (I think) a
general text on another (that's only four but you get the idea).  The side
showed only outlines of the subjects and the names.  Children, of all ages,
enjoyed trying to spot all the subjects.