From:
"Richardson, Lindsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:33:25 -0500
"It is Oprah, after all."

I think that sums up why Smithsonian staffers weren't able to plan ahead
as well as they might have liked.  They may have anticipated certain
problems, but if Oprah's staff and schedule didn't allow the museum
staffers to offer Oprah training or to explain off-camera in advance
what was acceptable or not, then the problem didn't rest with poor
planning.  It rests on the inequity of the relationship:  in a match
between Smithsonian and Oprah, Oprah presumes first place.

She's not used to anyone being the boss of her.

And we've all learned our lesson:  ALWAYS explain the rules before the
cameras roll!

Lindsey Richardson
Curator of Collections
Boston Children's Museum