From:
"Lawrence, Rena" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:32:50 -0500
All,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses to my philosophical (and logistical) question.  We don't have this situation come up very often, but it does happen occasionally.  I am a fervent advocate for making children feel welcome in a museum and have trained our historical interpreters and front end staff accordingly.  We also have hands-on spaces throughout the museum.  That said, the thought of having children here with no way to contact an adult in case of emergency absolutely terrifies me.  Perhaps it has to do with the fact that we are located in a major metropolitan area.  I grew up in a small town, and the local folks there wouldn't have thought twice about me walking around the historical society building/court house alone (and didn't).  But then again...they knew who my parents were.

We, like most museums, are simply not in the financial or staffing position to provide a "mother's day out" or similar service, either.  The closest we come are with the summer camps.  And I make sure I have at least 4 ways to contact an adult, as well as notes on any allergies, etc. (especially as an outdoor site).  If a child is allergic to bee or wasp stings...I need to know to call 911 immediately.  And even though creepy people are rare, it, unfortunately DOES happen at sites like ours.

In the most recent case at our museum, a child (about 9 or 10) came with a couple of friends.  Our front end staff asked if he had any adults with him to share his experience.  He got tears in his eyes and said no, but it was his birthday and what he wanted to do was visit the museum with his friends.  His mom was sick, but they lived right up the hill and she'd given them money to come visit.  Our front end staff graciously let them in, and the kids had a wonderful time.

Until it becomes an issue, we'll probably continue on a case-by-case basis.  I've filed everyone's responses for reference...

Thanks again!

Take care,
Rena Lawrence, Educator and Collections Manager
Log Cabin Village
Fort Worth, TX