From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 12:28:18 -0400
It is important for all of us to keep in mind the difference between a
database and a Collections Management System. A database is a collection
of data organized into fields, a relational database is two or more database
files where records from one file are linked (or point)to fields in another
file.

All Collections Management Systems use an underlying database. CMS consist
of application programs that interface with the database and perform tasks
specific to the application. These tasks range from defining allowable
catalogue numbers (linked to department or type of object), to calculating
date ranges for production date of object, to establishing lists of
allowable terms (lexicons) at the field level. A CMS allows you to track an
object through its "life" at your museum. A good system allows you to assign
specific tasks to specific users. For example, you may enter the object as a
considered item. Then flag it as "pending curatorial reveiw" after the
review, it can be accessioned, then the cataloguing can be assigned to the
curator, while the object is flagged as "needs permanent number affixed."
The collections manager is notified to number the object. And on and on and
on.

If you decide to purchase a database, you will need to set up and define
fields, field types, paramater checking, and on and on. Then you'll need to
define the links between fields, write the application programs, write the
programs that interface one database file to another. And then you'll need
to document what you've done so that other programmers and users can follow
you and use your program. All of this had better be more sophisticated than
your manual system or why bother.

Why would any sane person want to spend so much time and energy developing a
system when there are very good systems already developed?

Systems are available in a variety of price ranges, work under different
operating systems, can include techinical support and training, are not
dependent on one particular staff person and, often, can be customized to
include features unique to a particular institution.

The programmers who work for the companies that sell collections management
systems have done all that. They have, in many cases, devoted many
person/years to testing, refining and documenting their products.

Evaluate what you need the software to do for you. What tasks do you want to
automate? What information do you need to retrieve that you can't get at
with your current system?

Please search the list archives for previous postings on this topic. There
are some good discussions and links to articles. Look especially for those
by Robert Baron.

Remember...Just because a Collections Management System works for someone
else, doesn't mean it will fit YOUR needs. YOu won't know that until you
define your needs, write them down, and send them to a variety of vendors in
the form of a Request for Information. Get them to tell you how their system
fits your needs. _Then_ ask your peers for reference info on the vendors.

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:15:33 -0700, Laurel Heap <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>My name is Laurel Heap and I work at the Utah Museum of Natural History in
>the anthropology collections department.  I have been given the task of
>researching database systems most commonly used in museums to manage their
>collections.  I would appreciate any information you could give me... what
>kind of a database your museum uses, wether you like it or not and if you
>have heard anything about other databses.  Thanks in advance for your
>help!
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Laurel Heap
>Utah Museum of Natural History

Diane Gutenkauf
Standard Disclaimer
These comments are mine and do not reflect those of my employer or any
organization with which I am affiliated.

Museum-L" (without the quotes).