From:
Jo Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 11:39:52 -0700
Hello Harolyn,

If you are having trouble finding a paying job, I hope
you will give me a listen:

I don't know how much volunteer work you have done
before, but from my experience, if I stuck with
volunteer work with a particular organization long
enough, I usually got a job offer (sometimes only a
temp one as budgets allowed, but others followed), OR
leads to other jobs, OR a networking opportunity to
find a job elsewhere. A simple enthusiastic
willingness to work even the simplest of thankless
jobs in a profession you desire can go a long way. My
advice to you is use the spare time you spend reading
about museum work and volunteer instead. If you can't
commit to a regular schedule of volunteering, donate
some time to a special event or task and meet people
in that organization. Make appts with people in
museums and talk with them about your education and
professional interests and discuss possibilities
within that institution, paid or unpaid. Make a great
impression. Get out and work and ask questions and
meet people and find out where you can find your niche
and a job. I urge you to at least try any or all of my
suggestions. PLEASE don't get too discouraged if your
first attempt(s) don't lead to a salaried position
right away. Best wishes to you!
Jo