From:
Dick Rodstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 19:48:45 -0700
Let's do the first quickly.

Management is deeply embarrassed by the manifold and
epidemic dishonesty that is continuing to come to
light. It is very important for them to paint the
Unions as just as dishonest, if not more so, ASAP.

I make no apologies for the Teamsters, if they're
crooks, hang 'em, but we know that Enron, Worldcom and
their footsoldiers like the National Right to Work
Committee would love to change the subject with the
elections coming up.

And when was the last time you read or saw a positive
news piece about the unions, or any union? They get
uniformly lousy press from media of all stripes, and
there's no reason to expect any different any time
soon.

Now, about Fischl's sculpture.

Rockefeller Center serves two functions - it is an
office complex and a tourist attraction.

Remember the vertiginous pan shot of 30 Rock that
opened David Letterman's show when he was with NBC?
Why should the people who work in that skyscraper and
those around it have to see this potential threat?
(Apologies to Jay, most people see things around them
- averting their eyes is an act of will they should
not be forced to make every day.)

Secondly, Rockefeller Center is a tourist attraction.
Visitors to our fair city who go downtown to Ground
Zero or pause at that awful accidental piece of kitsch
in front of the Milford Plaza do so in a fairly
reverential frame of mind. Those I have met speak of
awe, terror, horror and spirituality, not of the
bouncing of dead jumpers. In my experience they are
remarkably free of Grand Guignol appetites and
pornography-of-violence drooling.

This new sculpture however focuses on violence to the
body and individual horror in a way that does no one
any good (except of course Mr. Fischl). There is a
reason that the jumper footage is embargoed for
rebroadcast by all the TV networks that own it.

Let this sculpture join exhibitions of Slaughterhouse
Art inside museums with the rest of the animal
carcasses and auto wrecks. Those who wish to see it
may exercise their rights by paying admission.

If you don't live here you may not understand this,
but this sculpture does not have any business further
traumatizing an already wounded city, or encouraging
the ghoulish in visitors from out of town. Mr. Fischl
does not memorialize the victims, he cannibalizes
them. That's not censorship, that's being a good
neighbor.

A proud and permanently traumatized New Yorker,
Dick

=====
Dick Rodstein
Voiceovers - Local, National, International
Audio files delivered over the Internet - wav, mp3, etc.
Website: http://www.dickrodstein.com/vo.html
Email: [log in to unmask]
Snailmail: PMB D-22, 332 Bleecker Street, New York, NY 10014
Telephone: (917) 414-5172