From:
Kathleen Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 16:00:25 -0800
Aloud_zine Art News El Paso wrote:

> Fellow Museum-L's:
>
> Thank you to everyone who's posted messages, kept up with this discussion
> and kept it alive and filled with energy and enthusiasm.  No one got a
> ticket this time. Bad news, the weekend is coming up and you have to turn
> in your car keys.  But some of you won't, because after all, museum people
> DO HAVE LIVES.
>
> It's been an interesting several days.  The original message of "Latinos
> in Museums" was posted to a handful of persons on Sunday and on Monday to
> the general lis t.  Since then, there's been an outpouring of comments,
> and opinions.  Remember, we all can learn from each other.  We all have
> something to say and share and unl ike Sara Phinney Kelley said a few
> posts back, the topic is IMPORTANT and merits everyone's ATTENTION.
>
> As you know, or maybe you don't, with the Western states cracking down on
> the historic migration of Mexicanos, many immigrants are now heading
> towards the Eastern seaboard, changing the cultural landscape.  Yes,
> Latinos are coming to your neighborhood soon.  Yes, even to small rural
> communities.  Any place there is a need for unskilled or semi-skilled
> WORK, migration, whether legal or not follows.  I think it's quite a
> fallacy not to be aware of other people's heritages and cultures even
> if those populations are not close at hand.  Sara, "...that of the 1400
> people on Museum-L, we didn't all respond because we're not interested.
> For some of us, our experience isn't relevant."
>
> Excuse me?!  A great part of the Internet is that it has collapsed
> geographical and cultural boundaries.  People who would have NEVER met or
> had a face to face conversation now can do so over e-mail.  So even if
> there aren't any Latinos or other people of color in your social strata,
> you're reading this verbatim aren't you.  By my name, you can assume I'm
> what you may call LATINO.  But I'm more than ju st Latino.  I'm a Chicano,
> yeah, Mexican-American for some, so I ask you, do you know the difference
> between a Chicano or a Puerto Rican or a Cuban or a Mexican national?  As
> a Chicano and probably one of the few some of you will ever have e-mail
> contact with in the near future, I have a specific culture, but I navigate
> in what we call "American" culture.  So, there it is.  We're all immigrants
> in cyber-space.
>
> Communities which never saw a Latino presence are now seeing otherwise and
> the changing demographics will AFFECT EVERYONE well into the next
> CENTURY, so BRACE yourself for CHANGE.  Some of you may even want to
> learn Spanish!  We here on the border (El Paso is on the U.S./Mexican
> border) have been dealing with international trade, economic, immigration
> longer than most states.  If you want to see the future, visit El Paso.
> So for those of you in the profession who think this DISCUSSION can't
> possibly affect you and your community or the profession, think again,
> [...]

  Next week will be busy so I think this will be my best time to respond
before the next go-round.  I want to thank you for this lively, honest,
interesting and timely discussion -- I am a relative newcomer to Museum-L
and was wondering if it was worth my time since I'm often not at my
computer for days at a time.
        My museum has been most successful in outreach programs which we
fund ourselves or with funds from foundations.  We have a staff
development program "Examining Our Prejudices by Looking At American
Art," in which we examine individual attitudes on race, gender, age,
class, etc.  This has been funded by a local foundation and we have
worked mostly with public school faculties and staff.  We have a special
needs coordinator who works with that broad audience and who brings
adults and kids to the museum, waiving admission (we are private) and
paying transportation fees.  This is a museum-budgeted item.  We have an
annual Hispanic Festival which lets anyone into the museum free who is
Hispanic, fluent, or speaks any Spanish - tours of the collection are in
Spanish - that reminds me, we also have done Spanish Immersion tours for
teacherworkshops and student tours - we work with social service agencies
and churches to bring the largely migrant worker population to the
museum.  We schedule this on a Sunday and have flyers in Spanish to
encourage attendance.  As a mutt "Anglo" and non-speaker I have really
loved the music and fun spirit of the day and vow to try to learn Spanish
sometime.