From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:43:07 -0500
My feelings go back many, many years when, as a graduate student, the prof.
I graded for, invited me to enroll in the first African-American History
course the University ever offered (that ought to date me, huh?).  He and I
were the only Anglos in the seminar.  I was driven out.   They couldn't get
him because he was the instructor but he caught hell the whole semester.
 The basic point was that there was no possibility that either of us would
ever be able to fully understand Black history because we were white.  No
matter how hard we tried, we would never be able to comprehend what it was
like to have been black; that we should continue to study the Black
experience in America within the context of White America but that would be
about as far as we could go.

I was not necessarily angered by that position because I generally, agreed
(although I did not discontinue studying American diplomacy because I was
not a diplomat).  Nevertheless, the experience has influenced my thinking
when it comes to serving in an African-American museum.  I would generally
agree that an Anglo is not going to as fully understand that
experience--whether it relates to art, music, politics, culture or
whatever--as an African-American.  Sure would like to. But....

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum
100 East Cedar