From:
ed sharpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 21:44:37 -0700
Greetings, Glad to have found this listserv!

I am the Archivist for SMECC, short for
Southwest Museum of Engineering, Communications and Computation.

The name pretty much states our interest areas!
In addition we have some interesting display of  radar and radar
countermeasures equipment.

major collections  include

Francis McCarty San Francisco  McCarty Wireless telephone Company  - first
to speak over wireless on west coast.

Winfield Salisbury Noted Physicist , assistant to Earnest Lawrence before
the war, and developer of  TUBA 50,000 watt jammer for German nightfighters,
this system was deployed on the English coastline during wwII
Winfield later went on to be director of research at Collins who built the
cyclotrons for Brookhaven and Argonne national laboratories, He went on to
many other projects in  his 80 some years of life! The collection consists
of  papers both published and unpublished as well as  his reference library,
mementos of projects he was involved in and great cyclotron blueprints!

K.D. Smith Collection, Ken hailed from bell labs and  did radar and
proximity fuze work during WWII and  went on to work on  early grown
junction transistor development and bell solar batteries ( known now as
solar cells) The collection consists of  Ken;'s papers and note, published
works, artifact collection ( perhaps the finest collection of bell
laboratories prototypes of semiconductor devices outside of the bell
archives)

The Paul Beroza Electronics engineering library collection.
Paul Beroza while being an educator amassed 395 great engineering books...
they are here!

there are many  other collections but these  we are extremely proud to
house.

Due to the size  of the reference library here at the museum, we are looking
into open source cataloging system for  the library. thee is a page on
library automation at our website that has info on two great and free
systems that run under Linux.
http://www.smecc.org/open_source_library.htm

If there is anything we can do to lend a hand  please drop a line.

Ed Sharpe Archivist for SMECC

see the museum at:
http://www.smecc.org