From:
linda j baden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:54:51 -0500
The Natural History Museum actually is not trying to copyright specimens
or specimen data. It is controlling access to such materials and setting
out conditions for photography and other reproductions of the material.
This is certainly within the museum's rights as owner of the material.
They are saying, "we will give you access to make an image of this
material, but only under the following conditions..." The individual
seeking such access then has the opportunity to agree to the museum's
conditions (giving up their copyrights to any image they make, etc.) or
not. The museum no doubt offers its own photographs, etc., of the
specimens for a fee, and they are protecting their market for this
material.
This is actually a more liberal policy than one that simply states "no
photography allowed in the gallery", because it may allow scholars,
collectors, etc., to take photos for their own use.
Hopes this helps clarify the situation,
Linda Baden
Associate Director, Editorial Services
Indiana University Art Museum