From:
Harold Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 06:30:26 -0400
Walt;

Ottawa's Lee Valley Tools sells a number of traditional carpenters' tools,
particularly for log building construction and woodcarving. They have an
online store which I believe operates out of Ogdensburg NY. They can supply
a variety of adzes, axes (including broadaxes), froes, peavies and a variety
of other traditional tools, made in Europe. The axes are particularly good,
but expensive and you may have to replace the "deer foot" handles on any
that come with them as they are definitely NOT period.

I do demonstrations of 1750-1900 carpentry tools. I have learned to haunt
antique shops and fairs and, more so, flea markets. The most fruitful source
is farm auctions but there you are up against the dealers. Surf the web;
there are many sources of antique tools and the prices are sometimes
reasonable.

Harry

"Few things are impossible to diligence and skill"

               -  Samuel Johnson, "Rasselas" (1759), 12

Harry Needham, M.A., CFE, etc.
President
Harry Needham Consulting Services Inc.
Training & consulting services for heritage institutions - and others!
74 Abbeyhill Drive
Kanata, Ontario K2L 1H1
Canada
email: [log in to unmask]