From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 00:13:17 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]
u>, "Terrill, Bronwyn" <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Please excuse cross-postings.
>
>I am hoping for information and creative techniques concerned with
>layering of information in exhibitions
>and/or
>ways of providing access to further information within (or adjacent to)
>exhibition spaces.

We do this in Bucks County Museum's Touch of Bucks (interdisciplinary
county archaeology/art/history/nature galleries) and Roald Dahl Gallery
(children's) - we layer not just information, but also objects (thoughts
about objects-as-information ...).

So, the visitor is faced with a section of the museum, and sees a big,
over-arching 'label' (not just words, but colour/texture/feel).  Then a
more specific 'label' for the case/display unit they are faced with.
This usually includes some text - 100 words, plus 'floating'
'inspirational/feeling' words (e.g. 'squidgy' with reference to Clay).
There is some group-of-objects labelling (3 words max) and individual
object labelling (similar max) - e.g. 'Fossil teeth' - for things which
aren't obviously 'something'.  Each object then has a 30 word caption,
and possibly additional interpretive 2-d material (e.g. a contemporary
advert, a drawing of a detail).  The objects are layered in that there
are 'star' big objects, more small objects, and then objects in drawers.
The information isn't just words.  It's also inter-actives, from hunks
of wood to feel to touch-screen computers playing bits of oral history
and showing images.

For the visitor who finds 30 words not enough, we have an InfoRoom,
where she or he can consult the catalogue entry.  This is staffed by a
curator on Wednesdays and Saturdays (a cut from 5 days a week, due to a
huge budget cut - we are now looking at ways of making the information
available without the curator).  The InfoRoom also acts as a point of
contact with curators for people wanting non-exhibit related
information, such as object identifications.

One of your colleagues visited us last summer, and could explain it
better - I'm afraid I've forgotten his name - you too are welcome.

Best wishes,
--
Pat Reynolds
at home