From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:36:41 -0500
I have done similar work, and i recommend you keep this simple. jpegs are
universal, the quality is fine and you can fit hundreds on a cd. I
recommend using photoshop, but if you don't have it you can use a more
basic imaging software to adjust and crop the images. Jpegs will work in
any software, on any platform you will need. Scan and save high resolution
(I would go over 600 dpi) You can always adjust later, but the kids should
start with high resolution or they will never get a good image. This is
especially true if they want to zoom in on one part of an image, not just
use the whole. The few seconds of delay in opening the image is with it.
and you'd be surprised at how nice images can come out of even a cheap
printer and cheap scanner. As far as naming the files, just don't have
spaces in the names, use dashes or periods. then there should not be a
problem on either platform.

Also, once a file is on a cd, it is there, it does not go away unless the
cd is physically damaged. and cds are really cheap. Make several copies.
experiment with the scans and printing on a basic inkjet and you'll see the
differences. just don't worry so much about memory, cds hold alot.

Elizabeth Walton

At 10:53 PM 3/13/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi-
>
>I have a technology question. I have asked a number of people where I live,
>but I don't seem to be running into any knowledgeable computer people. So
>here goes.
>
>I am working on an education program with some local 4th grade teachers. We
>(the historical society and the teachers) are collaborating on choosing
>artifacts and photographs that will help the teachers cover some specific
>aspects of local history.
>
>One of the teachers suggested that instead of having copies made of the
>photographs, we just scan them and burn them onto a CD. That way the
>teachers could project them, or the kids could choose which ones they want
>to use for the small exhibit they are going to develop using the resources
>we provide and print them out. The teachers will also have them for next
>year and won't have to worry about wear and tear on actual photographs.
>
>So, does anyone have technical recommendations? The images don't have to be
>museum exhibit quality, but they should be reasonable. I know it makes a
>difference what the size of the original image is and what size you decide
>to print it out at, but I'm not sure what that difference means in terms of
>the scanning.
>
>What resolution should we scan at? Do we save them as TIFF files?
>
>I have never even seen a CD burner, so I also don't know whether CDs can be
>formatted to be read by both PCs and Macs. If they can, what is the format
>called?
>
>We will probably not have access to a really high quality scanner, since I
>don't think we will have a lot of money to work with. I'm hoping to find a
>scanner in the school system or the local college that will be adequate (and
>free). What should I look for?
>
>This is a pilot project to see if we should continue to develop more similar
>materials on local history.
>
>Thanks.
>Bobbie Scott

>Important Subscriber Information: