From:
Janet Sweeting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 11:56:04 EST
>>I'm looking for some good suggestions on the subject of exhibit guide
>>motivation.  We are a small hands-on science museum that employs high
>>school and college aged people to work on our exhibit floor to interact
>>with the public.  Often time, these exhibit guides stand back and
>>observe the floor and rarely engage the visitor.  What motivation
>>techniques do you use in your musuem?  Do you use incentive plans?
>>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not sure where the original request came from but I have been one of
these teenage guides (35 years ago) and now train them.  I hated it, it is
only a strange set of circumstances that I even entered this museum again.
The only thing I have found that helps me (I still hate it) is to have an
touchable object and a small table to sit at.  Then I enjoy myself. For
example offering a real piece of bark cloth to touch in the Amazonian
ceremonial clothing exhibit makes interaction easy because it sets up my
status with the visitor and doesn't worry them that I'll ask questions or
talk a long time.  When I have something to offer I love doing it.
Janet

Head of Public Education
Peabody Museum of Natural History,
P.O. Box 208118, New Haven, CT  06520-8118
203-432-3777  Fax 203-432-9816