From:
Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:40:14 -0700
Hi Benjamin --

It seems you're getting lots of good replies from Museum -List'ers. Here are some slightly cynical suggestions, honed by years of experience with trying to collect modest fees for a variety of library and archival services in a museum setting.

Since you note that you are getting increasing numbers of requests  to waive fees, start with the wording of your current policy. Make sure it's as specific as possible for each class of requestor. Try not to open up too many possibilities of waivers. Suggest that requests to waive fees will need approval from the Society's business manager or the Board's Finance Committee (even if it's up to you.)  Stress this will add to the length of time in which orders are normally filled.

Once people learn that exceptions are made, they will want to be one of the exceptions. Create a few hurdles to help preserve your own ability to respond to such requests. Putting yourself in a position where you have to compare apples and oranges and decide relative worthiness is definitely not a good idea.  Besides, it diminishes your ability to handle other important aspects of your job.

Ultimately photo reproductions are a service to individuals, whether they want a souvenir, an illustration for a term paper or thesis, an image for another non-profit's programs or a book being published for sale to libraries and museums.

Good luck!

Judy Turner
Whitefish Bay, WI