From:
Lisa Shockley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:52:14 -0500
We have had experience with both the best and worst in off-site storage.
One of the relatively unique things about Kansas City is the large
number of old limestone mines that have been developed for commercial
use, usually storage or offices. We call these areas the "Caves",
although, in fact, they are man-made.  Obviously, being so far
underground, temperature fluctuations are not an issue. However, RH is.
We have not just one rented, off-site storage space, but two. One of the
sites is very clean, 24-hour security, humidistat controlled to
approximately 50% RH. Our landlord is very diligent about handling
problems and I have developed a very good relationship with the
facility's manager. The other location, however, is very problematic.
There is not any climate control to speak of, and the RH varies
tremendously from season to season. Also, there is a great deal of semi
truck traffic through the area, as it is used primarily as an industrial
warehouse. There is a definite air quality problem. As these spaces are
both rented, improvements are up to the landlord, unless we want to pay
to improve their property. Our institution will not invest tens of
thousands of dollars in what is perceived as "temporary storage",
although we have been in one of these spaces for 20 years.

The "good" space is maintained by a company that is very interested in
our needs. Indeed, at least two other areas museums store objects within
the same complex. The other facility's owner is not overly interested in
our needs, from my point of view. We are a revenue source and they can
take or leave our business, others are waiting in line, evidently.

Advice: If you rent storage space, find out exactly how much interest
the owners have in truly understanding/fufilling your needs. Obviously,
security is a big issue, along with environment. Will they help you
limit access? Will they permit you to alarm your space? Will they agree
not to enter space without museum staff present? How distant? Will it
severely curtail access to your collections?

And, check references. Renting storage space can definitely have
benefits, just ask lots and lots of questions.

Before I came here, this institution was considering the idea of the
"box within the box" for the one area. It was decided that the cost was
too prohibitive for a temporary, rented space. The problem was cost, not
efficiency of systems.

I have been working with these areas for a number of years. If you want
to contact me off-list with specific questions, I will be more than
happy to answer. Also, if someone has had a viable, affordable
experience with the box-within-box systems, I would like to hear more.

--
Lisa Shockley
Collections Technician, Union Station, Kansas City

Where there is Peace, there is Culture;
Where there is Culture, there is Peace.”   (Nicholas Roerich)