From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 08:51:43 -0400
At 10:22 AM 18-08-99 -0400, you wrote:
>Munsell was before my time but I think the rationale for dropping it was
>that the colour looked different depending on what type of lighting it was
>being viewed under.  I do not think it was embraced by all divisions.  I
>think only our ethnology cataloguers used it.

That's an interesting rationale, since the same is true of ALL colors,
whether on chips from an expensive book or on an artifact.  I understand
perfectly, however, your current need for simplicity and accessibility.  We
only use the Munsell system internally, and so far only for things being
newly catalogued which seem in some danger of fading.

And no, nothing is ever simple.  Ain't it amazing how cataloguing objects
with the computer, which is supposed to make our lives simpler, has instead
opened up vast new possibilities for cross-referencing and nit-picking.
Zowie.
Anne T. Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County