From:
Angela Minner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:32:15 EST
Taking the discussion of graduate degrees a step further....

Dear Subscribers,
I am in the process of gathering information about M.A. programs in museum
studies, applications to be completed in January/February for the fall 1999
school year.  I would like to solicit advice on which universities have
programs which best suit my interests, and which of those available are
considered the best.

I have a B.A. in anthropology with a concentration in archaeology.  While
volunteering at a dig, I spent some time in the lab cleaning, sorting and
identifying artifacts, and piecing together glass from bottles and inkwells.
This sort of work interested me, believe it or not, more than the digging.  So
I have decided to pursue a career in museum studies, because I am more
interested in working with cultural materials than actual excavation.

1) I am looking for a program cooperative with Historic American and/or Early
American culture, as opposed to prehistoric.
2) I know that wherever I attend grad school, some of the history focus will
be local, but I don't want to specialize in a particular area of the country.
3) My primary interests are in glassware and ceramics, as well as living
history museums and interpretive museums.  However, I am still exploring.
Something which interests me greatly is the mid-1800's, especially westward
American expansion, military life, and urban growth (and the material evidence
of these).

Are these realistic goals/ interests for a career in museums?  If not, should
I broaden/ narrow my goals?
Does anyone know of good programs appropriate to my goals?  I have checked out
the University of Delaware and George Washington University.  Although my
education is anthropology-centered, I want to stick with historic artifacts/
collectibles.  Also, are there any schools in the Midwest?  I hope this
message is understandable and I apologize for its length.  Please don't
hesitate to respond, even if it's just to part of my many questions.
Thank you ever so much,
Angela