From:
Rachael Arenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 09:45:39 -0400
Aside from durability and aesthetic issues you might want to pay
attention to the potential for off-gassing.  The danger caused by
off-gassing will depend, in part, on your collection.  Carpets,
particularly those, with rubber backings will emit formaldehyde and
organic acids that can adversely affect materials such as metal,
shell and certain pigments in paintings.  You should look at the
fabrication of both the pile and the backing.  There are websites
that identify manufacturers that make low voc-emitting carpets that I
have found helpful in the past.  Feel free to contact me off-list if
you have further questions.

Rachael Perkins Arenstein
Assistant Conservator
Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Harvard University
11 Divinity Avenue
Cambridge, MA  02138
Tel: (617) 495-2487
Fax: (617) 495-7535