From:
Pamela Elbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 13:16:06 -0400
More info on guide ponies/horses:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_894660.html?menu=news.quirkies.hear
twarmers

-----Original Message-----
From: Maradragon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 7:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: barefoot visitors

> As a point of information, disallowing just any old
> mutt in the building is ok, but if the dog were a
> service animal, you could be in trouble.
>
> Obviously, folks know there are service animals to
> accommodate the blind.  Did you also know they are
> allowable for those with other kinds of disabilities
> (largely mental health)?  Then they become known as
> what are called companion animals.

Not 6 hours ago I was in a very long company-sponsored diversity
training
that all new people have to take.  One of the things covered was
disability
policy and working with guide animals.  Guide animals were listed in my
state as dogs, some capuchin monkeys, and one miniature horse.

What they made clear aside from the usual need to accommodate guide
animals,
is that in my state, all guide animals are obvious.  Seeing eye dogs
must
have harness and handle.  All other official disability animals,
including
therapy dogs, wear an orange collar or jacket labeled "service dog,"
including dogs in training.  If the animals does not have the above
listed
attributes, it is ***not an official or legal service animal.***
Therefore
there should be no confusion or liability to an institution because
someone
shows up with their family pet and claims it's a therapy dog.

I am sure this varies somewhat state to state.  Your state office of
Affirmative Action or Health Services will be able to fill you in on the
exact situation where you live.

Mara Kaminowitz

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).