From:
Gregory Scheib <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 23:28:05 -0400
        This thread has made me start to question my own assumptions about
volunteerism and interships.  Is it fair to say (and correct me if I'm
wrong--I know you will) that interships are specifically related to a
particular task which somehow is seen as a career step/ school
requirement for students, while "volunteerism" is reserved for someone with
time on their hands, wants to help the community, and is not "career
oriented."
        My confusion stems from my own experiences.  I'm
currently in the GWU museum studies program and I decided to pursue a
museum career because of my experiences as a volunteer (and
never as a "formal" intern) at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History
in Alburquerque (old spelling).
        In my four years as an volunteer, I did a variety of tasks, some
which I initiated, and others which were asked of me.  Perhaps it is
different in other museums (here's where I'm confused), but what is wrong
with simply volunteering at a museum, rather than interning? -- as an
option for those of us entering the profession.
        In many ways I'm starting to beleive volunteering is as useful (if
not more so) than an internship in the strictest sense (ie assume a task,
complete task, get credit, leave museum).
        A as volunteer I always had a feeling of freedom-- that I could pick
and choose the projects I wished to be involved with, and thus, the skills I
gained (as well as setting my own hours).  If a project didn't appeal to
me, I was free to do other things.  As I put in more time and became more
confident in the museum environment, rather than having to solicit projects,
people began to ask if I could take on new projects.  In the time I was at
NMMNHS I was a docent, a member of an exhibit planning committee, chaired a
volunteer auction, produced illustrations for museum publications, put
together a teacher guide...and yes, also did mailings, set up rooms for
events, manned booths at community events, and a variety of less
"glamorous?" tasks -- And yes, I worked full time to pay my bills.
        My time at the NMNMHS was worth a dozen interships to me -- I
didn't get any credit, but that doesn't really matter-- What I got was much
more valuable--All these experiences are reflected in my resume as "museum
experience,"and it didn't cost me any tuition, just my time.
        Further, as a volunteer, I was able to define my own role within the
museum, and learn about many aspects of a medium-sized natural history
museum.  I got to work with an innovative, dedicated staff (most whom I now
call friends) who inspired me to return to school to become a "real" museum
professional.
        I think my point (after rambling on so) is that even if you don't do
an intership in the strictest sense, "volunteering" can provide the
time flexability required for those of use who MUST have an outside
income (like myself), and who still want to contribute to, and learn from, a
museum environment.

        Do I think I should have gotten paid?  Hell yes! but the skills I
learned are more than enough compensation.
        I don't know, perhaps I'm all mixed up?  Maybe NMMNHS is a unique
situation which allows it's volunteers more freedom and creative input than
other institutions (but I certainly hope not).

So to conclude (finally),I ask again: Is there a difference between an
intership and volunteering?

(My feeling is you can make EITHER work to your benifit.)
 --That is, if there really is a difference.

Gregory Scheib                            ~     ~
The George Washington University        (<O>   <O>)
                                           / | \
                                          (_____)
                                            ___