From:
"Rizzo, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:58:56 -0500
The information that's come across so far is fascinating, if mostly
anecdotal.. Based on the responses so far, I'm wondering that if there
_are_ differences in male/female visitation patterns how they are
effected by:
- region/geography (including how remote the site is)
- age of visitors (for example, my mother, who is in her late 60s, would
NEVER consider going somewhere by herself. I, however, in my early 30s
do it all the time)
- type of museum (art, history, science/technology, etc..)
- level of prior knowledge (i.e. are the men 'buffs' in the museum's
subject area)

I think this is a pretty neat topic and, as another poster mentioned,
may intersect with larger patterns of civic involvement. I'm curious how
the visitor experience differs when people come alone or in groups. On
one hand, the solo visitor can spend more time and ask more questions of
a guide. On the other, groups allow for the immediate exchange of
information and ideas which may lead to retention of info..

Best,

Mary Rizzo
Educator
New Jersey State House