From:
Kendra Dillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:15:12 -0800
It reminds me of a book I read in about 1981 by
David Hackett Fischer's " Historians'  Fallacies:
Toward a Logic of Historical Thought," 1970.  I
think he would have termed it "conjectural
history."  Without knowing the correct reason,
would-be historians make up something that sounds
reasonable, but is in fact not true.  It's a great
book that identifies a number of ways historians
and others can make mistakes in interpreting
history.

Kendra Dillard