From:
Belinda Nickles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 13:35:36 -0400
I should have clarified.  My last job search was when
airplane fares were much higher.  For example, I had a
museum in North Dakota who wanted me to interview.
When I checked the price of a ticket, I found I would
have to pay over $1,000 for round trip.  The reason
given was that I wasn't booking at least two weeks
ahead of time.  We were in northern Illinois at the
time and it was cheaper to drive.

Of course things are different now.  Still, when my
husband and I drive to an interview, we ask
for reimbursement on gas instead of a per mile amount
that includes wear and tear on the car.  We consider
it a chance to be alone and a chance to see some
more of America.  But I don't advise that everyone
do the same.

I have negotiated with museums where I am interviewing.
Often, they will pay for gas or lodging in a modestly-
priced motel when they can't afford to pay for
everything.