From:
"Nancy S. Powell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:25:48 -0400
Erika,

Trevor has good point. Here's more on the thinking behind their request.

The government has to be accountable to its citizens. So, a way to look at
it is as follows: what the funder wants to know is, what are we paying for?

Meaning:
*where does the money go,
*and what do we get for it,
*e.g., what are the results - which is what Trevor brought up.

General Operating Support (GOS -money for salaries, utility bills, rent,
supplies, cleaning, etc.) is the most necessary and the hardest to get.

Typically, in publically run nonprofits, or in public-private nonprofit
partnerships, government entities pay for some or all of GOS, which enables
the nonprofit to spend its staff energy delivering services or fundraising
for program or project funds that will maintain or increase services.

If the city can say their citizens are benefiting by receiving x services,
whether it's opportunities for family education, the preservation of local
history, natural history/environment, whatever, that they wouldn't otherwise
get from any other source, then they and your organization look good and it
will help your funding chances.

If you can, try to keep the budget very simple, summarized on one page, and
not too detailed. Too much detail can open Pandora's box by unintentionally
inviting a "line item veto".  Someone reviewing the budget might think,
"well, we'll pay for x , but not for z." While an organization always needs
to be fiscally accountable, you also want to try to avoid being
micromanaged.

Nancy Powell