From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:20:18 -0600
At a living history park I worked, we put carpet felt underneath the
carpets, which kept them down and in place somewhat.  Lots and lots of
visitors passed walked through the buildings with not much tripping.  I also
had lots of replacement runners, I could replace the pieces that were
startign to curl.  Washing was part of the problem that started the curling,
not the people walking on them.

Then just exchaning, cleaning and arranging the carpets as needed is another
suggestion, to ensure they remained in place and not curling.

Other than nailing the carpet down, velcro or another type of sticking
substance could be attached, holding the carpet to the underlying felt.
Without the felt, nothint to attach the other piece of velcro with.

I was also thinking of putting a professional (dark color of course) runner
down -- which would save period carpet and wear and tear on the floors --
then just use the smaller, antique carpets down where the public is not
allowed to venture.  That for sure would end the curling problem.

John