From:
Ron Twellman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:16:11 -0500
What about object location? That was where we ran into some problems. While
we were unpacking the boxes we became aware that we were going to have to
add more shelves to accommodate the collections in some areas. This, after
the shelves had already been numbered in sequence. Which means we were
looking at changing the location designation on quite a few already shelved
objects. If you can find a way of this not happening to you it will save you
a lot of grief!!

There is a way!!
And of course it wasn't my idea, just one I heard about and stole . . er. .
. used.

Here's the system I've used for the last twelve years:

1. Each storage area is given an abbreviated alphabetical name - i.e. "C"
for Collections storage, "A" for Archival storage, "P" for processing room.
Just keep them short and logical.

2. Each shelf range is numbered starting on one side of the room and working
toward the other.  This assumes that there aren't any open areas or breaks
in the shelving that might be filled in with more shelves later.

3. Within each shelf range, each vertical shelf section is given a number
that is really a measurement in inches from a datum point -  generally one
wall of the room.  If the section is not against a wall, it is two-sided and
each side is designated L or R for left & right. You can measure to the left
end of the section, the right end or the center whichever tickles your
fancy, but just be consistent with whichever you choose.

4, Within each vertical shelf section the individual shelves are similarly
numbered with the measurement in inches from the floor.

So I end up with a shelf location code like C3-412L-21.  This tells me that
the shelf on the left side of the third range in the collections room 412"
from the back wall and 21" from the floor.

With this system you can add individual shelves or even whole shelf sections
without having to change any other shelf designation.

Like I said, it wasn't my idea and I can't charge a royalty, so feel free to
steal it from me and modify it however works best for you!

RT

Ron Twellman, Curator of Collections
EAA AirVenture Museum
P.O. Box 3065