From:
Betsey Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:40:02 -0500
We have written down obsolete inventory gradually. For example, we have
books that have been sitting in inventory for 10 years that had an
original cost of $17. We now sell maybe 25 a year but have 700 on hand.
We have written the cost down (by making inventory cost adjustments)
over the past 4 years until we are now carrying them at a cost of about
$4. There is no determined formula other than a sense of how the value
has changed over time but our auditor is comfortable with that.

Good luck.

Betsey