From:
Claire Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 12:02:19 -0700
Kristy,

How great that you want to help your organization raise money!  I agree
with the others' opinion that fundraising events are not always the
best, most profitable, nor most expedient way of raising funds. We too
rely almost exclusively on soliciting major donors, and getting grants
from corporations and foundations, and on increasing membership.
However, if you are just starting out, having a really well-planned
event which designed to attract the right possible supporters (i.e.
people already known to your organization, because they are already
supporters, plus Board members, staff, and local businesspeople, for
example) and let them know what a good program you've got going, is a
vital part of the long-term fundraising process.  Such an event need not
be, and perhaps should not be, a fundraiser, but if there will be no
charge you must ask one of your Board members or volunteers to host
(i.e. pay for) it.

Would you like to reply to me off list and I'll see if I can give you
some more ideas about where to get money for a computer, for example?

Claire Holman Thompson
Director of Development
Bayly Art Museum at the University of Virginia