From:
Heidi Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:00:39 PST
I would suggest you take a look at Texas Tech University Museum Science
Program.  The museum has an anthropology department and has in the past
hired students to do work similar to what you were doing --
inventorying, storing, identifying artifacts.

>I have a B.A. in anthropology with a concentration in >archaeology.
While volunteering at a dig, I spent some time in >the lab cleaning,
sorting and identifying artifacts, and piecing together glass from
bottles and inkwells. This sort of work interested me, believe it or
not, more than the digging.  So I have decided to pursue a career in
museum studies, because I am more interested in working with cultural
materials than actual excavation.

Texas Tech Museum also has a history department and clothing and
textiles department with objects common to the American west and the
frontier.  Additionally, there is an outdoor section of the museum, The
Ranching Heritage Center, that shows the evolution of buildings in the
American west.  There are interpretive programs at the Ranch too.
When I was there, the museum offered many part time job opportunities
for students in the program in addition to a well rounded formal
education so that when we graduated, the work study students had both
classroom and work experience in the museum.  I think that I received a
very well rounded education and a good mixture of experience and
education and I think that I am very prepared to work in museums.
Unfortunately, there are not many museum jobs to be had.  The job market
is HIGHLY competitive and do not offer very high salaries -- I have
applied for many jobs at large, well known museum and the salaries are
in the mid to upper teens.  While that may sound like a fortune to a
student that makes minimum wage, I can tell you that once the student
loans start coming due, you cannot support yourself on such a low salary
unless you have no other debt such as rent or car payments, utilities,
etc.

My advise would be to try to get a double major or a double Masters
degree - one in museum studies and another in computers or business
administration, public administration, or education so that if you can't
get a museum job, you can teach or work in the profit sector with an
MBA.  I wish I would have done that.  I have my BA in Anthropology and
MA in Museum Science and cannot find a museum job that isn't going to
end with the completion of a project.

Good luck.  If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Heidi Carroll