From:
Randy Hees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:18:22 -0800
 From your description it sounds like either an (axle) journal bearing,
commonly called a “brass”. They usually, but not always have soft silver
colored tin based babbitt metal on the arched face. These brasses were
short lived, and commonly replaced. I suspect the markings you see are
for the owning railroad (OSL), the journal box style or manufacturer (in
this case Hewitt, there was less standardization than the railroads
wanted) and the car capacity in tons (10 tons). If this is for a 10 car
the arched side will fit an axle of roughly 2 ¾” diameter by 4” long.

Herbert H Hewitt, variously described as being from either Detroit or
Buffalo, held several patents related to railroad trucks; The best known
is a 1877 patent for a journal box lid, the other 4 separate patents for
an iron framed truck from November 1896.

Hewitt journal boxes are not uncommon in the west.

A photo would likely confim the idenification.

Randy Hees
Patterson House at Ardenwood Farm
City of Fremont, California

*