From:
Raelyn Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 12:56:26 +0900
This is long; sorry.

I think the original comment about a survey where the old-timers seemed more loy
al and tended towards cohesiveness, whereas the younger/new-comers seemed more l
ikely to sell out (that was the between-the-lines idea, right?) has SOME validit
y...

However, so does the recent reminder (applied to the conservator comments) that
we should not make rash generalizations or believe too deeply in stereotypes!

All of you who nodded knowingly when you thought about those reckless, self-serv
ing youngsters should kindly remember that while that may be a trend, or a frequ
ent occurance, it is not a fundamental truth.

In 1989 I got a summer job doing data entry at a small/medium-sized museum of cu
ltural art, converting registraral records from a 3x5 card system into a compute
r database (ARGUS); I was 20 years old, and majoring in marine biology at school
.  The museum was undergoing some new construction and the staff was pretty sma
ll since the galleries were closed - I had an amazing opportunity to see the col
lection and learn about it up close.  I was hooked right away.  I actually worke
d there for six years, through a move of the collections and a grand reopening,
while the staff went from about 20 people to about 50; I went from data entry pe
rson to art handler to assistant collections manager and eventually to collectio
ns manager - I was an old-timer at age 26, when I left to head for Japan (and it
 was hard for me to leave, you can bet!).

I sure felt like some of the older (age-wise) staff weren't as devoted to the in
stitution as I had been, though I confess that the staff who had actually been t
here the longest (amend that: the collections and exhibit staff, who had been th
ere the longest) were the most devoted and loyal.

I am addicted to the field, like the rest of you.  That job was very important t
o me.  I am pretty sure that there are other young folk out there who are also q
uite dedicated and loyal to their institutions.  It's tough to find the opportun
ity to get into a position that matters much when you are young - the old viciou
s cycle about needing experience to get the job that would give you experience -
 I was exceptionally lucky, and met some truly kind and wonderful people!  If yo
u are only a part-time worker or a stamp-licker for development or something, no
t really included in the more interesting aspects of the field (not necessarily
for lack of desire, mind you), of course you would more readily consider hitting
 the pavement than if you are a curator or conservator.  Or entertain thoughts t
hat seem divisive to the more senior, well-positioned staff.

The solution: include them.  Educate them.  Give them involving experiences and
let them invest themselves.  (And no, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to
pay them more.)

Just had to say something, it's been nagging at me for days "rabaron". It applie
s to lists, too (I just joined up - but keep it whole!).  Don't discriminate on
basis of age alone, folks!

Tim Campbell
Visiting Researcher
The University Museum
The University of Tokyo

e-mail c/o Raelyn Campbell:  [log in to unmask]