From:
Jeanne Finan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 21:18:49 -0500
I appreciate Tom Vaughan's comments about exhibitions and interpretation. I
think we often forget that we work for the public and too often look upon
them as "intruders", the "interruptors" of our real work-- but in reality
these "interruptions" are our real work.If our work--our exhibitions, our
programs, etc.-- doesn't lead the public to care and to understand it, then
they won't value it either. We need to step outside our "museum box" and see
our exhibits as the public sees them. We need to also look at our
institutions and try to understand what it feels like when you step in our
front door. I thought it ironic all the chatter here about Bob Vila's
arrogrance when, even as a "museum person" I have often felt myself treated
that way by staff at other museums, especially historical houses. Maybe we
need to balance our concern for people touching our objects with concern that
we strive to touch their lives with how we display and interpret those
objects.

Jeanne Finan