From:
"Alembik, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:52:22 -0400
Hello!
A question has come up within our College's administration, of what the polices are amongst academic institutions on the accessibility and placement of their permanent collection, especially with regards to value of the works and security.

Our collection is installed throughout the campus, in public areas, offices, and dorm lobbies. Works situated in private/hidden locations are installed with security hangers. Most buildings are monitored until they are locked in the evening. We treat most works with the same care, regardless of their value. Being a small institution with a good deal of wall space, it is easy (a joy!) for us to make decisions of placement using common sense.

This is not to say that we have not had problems -- a row of ceramic bird nests in a very public area were filled with candy birds, and recently someone using blue lipstick scrawled an additional appendage on the glass covering a photograph of a horse.

Would any one in a similar environment mind sharing with me off-list if you have any thoughts or advice on this topic -- where I can find more information on such policies (AMA publications?), etc.

This will soon become an issue. We recently acquired 280 minor works of American Art Pottery (McCoy, Roseville, etc.).   The donor specifically wanted these available for all to view. There are a few strong voices here who want to keep these filed away in our storage room, under lock and key. I will have to think of creative (read cheap) and secure ways to get these on display.

Many thanks!
Lisa

lisa alembik
dalton gallery director