From:
Frannie Blondheim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:54:53 -0700
Please excuse any cross postings.

Last year our department, in conjunction with the department of Art &
Design, here at the University of Alberta, designed and delivered a
new course entitled "Museum Studies: Issues and Practice".  This
introductory course about museums provided an overview of many topics
- from collecting ethics and management, to exhibits and programming.
Developed as an interdisciplinary course, we had students with a wide
range of backgrounds, from fine art to anthropology, in attendance.

As we revise the course for the upcoming year, we are wondering what
other schools, offering similar introductory courses, use as their
text book(s).  We currently are using Burcaw's Introduction to Museum
Work, supplemented with a course pack of readings from current
journals.

Anyone with suggestions or recommendations of texts can reply to the
list, or directly to [log in to unmask]  Many thanks for your
assistance.
Lisa Barty
Education Coordinator
Museums and Collections Services

University of Alberta
Ring House #1, Edmonton, AB  T6G 2E2
phone: (780)492-6271  fax: (780)492-6185

Frannie Blondheim
Manager, Communication Program
Museums and Collections Services
Ring House #1