Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:58:17 +0100
David E. Haberstich wrote

>>Yes, I'm aware of this problem, and I've heard of a curator who bought almost exclusively from one dealer (who, it was rumored, was the curator's cousin).  Favoritism certainly is unethical--but it's also possible that a particular dealer may consistently have the best or most appropriate stuff, and anyone in such a situation should be prepared to prove that's the case rather than favoritism.  But you lost me, Christof.  I don't understand what this has to do with personal collecting.<<

Sorry, I didn't repeat the subject:  YOU collect movie posters,
privately, for yourself only (your exemple) and you decide about
BUYING FROM THE SAME DEALER for your museum.  Let's spin this
thread a little further:  another dealer complains publicly about
favoritism mentioning your poster collection.  That's why I asked
"How would you defend yourself?"  (sorry, if my English were
better this explanation would be much shorter)

It is probably to avoid this kind of argument (which is harmful
to the museum whether such accusations are justified or not) that
the ICOM Code of Ethics strongly warns against private collecting
by museum employees.

There are cultural differences too.  The ICOM Code of Ethics
takes them into account (they have trouble with being short
too!):

"The acquiring, collecting and owning of objects for a personal
collection by a museum professional may not in itself be
unethical and may be regarded as a valuable way of enhancing
professional knowledge and judgement. However, no member of the
museum profession should compete with their institution either in
the acquisition of objects or in any personal collecting
activity. In some countries, and in many individual museums,
members of the museum profession are not permitted to have
private collections and such rules must be respected. Where there
are no such restrictions, a member of the museum profession with
a private collection should, on appointment, provide the
governing body with a description of the collection and a
statement of the extent of the collecting practised. An agreement
between the museum professional and the governing body concerning
the private collection must be formulated and scrupulously
followed. (See also 8.4 below)."

ok?

Christof