From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 1994 09:33:17 CDT
Much of the work of our archives is done on computer resulting in massive
databases which may be inventories of collections, a guide to the collections,
bibliographic databases, and the like.  I have received numerous requests for
copies of the databases on disk so the recipient can search, etc.   I have not
yet done this....but at first glance, these seemed reasonable.   Then I noted
some problems with compliance.

First, these databases often reflect OUR collections.  By allowing them out of
our control, this raises the real problem that users may "tinker" with them.
Let's say one database is a chronological list of sheet music.  A user may find
this really useful and start inputting their OWN sheet music into this
"catalog."  After awhile, the user (and anyone who gets access to the data or
information) may come to believe that either 1) the items he/she added are
also in OUR collections, or 2) the items from OUR collections are believed to
be in the users.    What I'm specifically getting here is that the database
which lists an institution's collection may mislead later researchers if it
is corrupted and passed on.

Second, because electronic databases are so easy to manipulate, our lists are
constantly changing.  The disk I give out in February 1994 may be entirely
different than the one in August 1994....unless you really want to keep track
of disk "editions," this can become a nightmare, especially if a user begins
citing "data" in footnotes, bibliographies, and so on.   You also run the
continuing risk of misleading users....the old "disk" may lead the person to
think that you have no paintings by person X....but you actually do.

Third, there is the possibility of corruption of the information.  Any
narrative information, dates, etc. on the disk bear the possibility of change
in the hands of a user.   With printed catalogs or guides, such changes can
be written or noted and you have therefore "evidence" of change.  You may not
see that change on the disk.

Fourth, your database records may bear information that you really would not
give out.  For example, donor names, prices paid, dealers, or the fact that
you cannot really prove ownership of an item.  When you copy electronic data,
you essentially copy everything unless you have the time and staff to compile
a "public" database as opposed to your "internal" one.

Please note that I am truly open to sharing of information.  In fact, you can
successfully argue that in public institutions where public money has paid the
salary of individuals to write/compile these databases...that they are open to
public access.   That is true, however we do make these databases accessible on
site, rather than distribute them.

If I could find the means to prevent changes to the electronic information on
the disk, then I would openly distribute disk databases.

Dean DeBolt, University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
University of West Florida, Pensacola