From:
Art Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:00:44 -0700
If a science museum, then the job is to present honest science, not to
present non-science such as Intelligent Design or Creation Science. The
customer, of course, is free to believe the science or not, but by no
stretch of the imagination is the museum obliged to present religious
beliefs as if they were science--there are plenty of churches, religious
websites, blogs, etc., geared to present a huge variety of religious
views about origins and evolution.

On the original thread, I have no problem with the ordinary, sincere
creationist. What I do have a problem with is that small group
(unfortunately but understandably trusted by most of the honest
creationists) that distorts and lies (that there is no evidence, there
are no transitional fossils, that the scientific evidence supports
Noah's Flood, that radiometric dates are all wrong, that scientists are
liars, that [out of context quotes] show the evolutionists don't really
believe it, etc.).

Art Harris

John Martinson wrote:
> [...]
> Grantham, PA 17027
>
> Kenneth D. Mark
> Director of the Oakes Museum
>
> Messiah College
> One College Ave. Box 3029
> Grantham, PA 17055
>
> Telephone: 717-691-6082
> FAX: 717-691-6046
> Email: [log in to unmask]

> Now THAT"S disturbing!
>
> As a result of this header I scanned all the posts on the "responses" thread and found nothing I would regard as hate speech. In the response quoted, a personal opinion was honestly disclosed with a statement on how it influenced that museum's policy. Elsewhere the discussion seemed quite reasonable.
>
> A public museum, especially state or federal chartered, should reflect and respect community values. How does one do that when the community is split into groups that are "deeply disturbed" by any mention of views opposed to their own?
>
> Is it responsible behavior to avoid recognizing the issue altogether?
>
> It is unlikely that discussion will resolve the issues but they should be kept in mind, discussed, and thought about so one will be prepared to address them when they arise.
>
> We need to regard language as a communications medium, not an assault weapon, even if it takes an effort to do so.
>
> Mike Csontos
> Assistant Librarian
> Antique Wireless Museum
> Bloomfield, NY
>

> In a message dated 11/23/2009 9:23:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> I totally agree & appreciate your remarks.
>
> Barb Magers
>

> Barb Magers
> Curatorial Research Assistant
> Still National Osteopathic Museum
> National Center For Osteopathic History
> 800 W. Jefferson
> Kirksville, MO 63501
> ph: 1- 660-626-2359  ext.2558
> fax: 1-660-626-2984

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I have REALLY tried my best to hold off and not contribute to this discussion, as I feel it has gone off topic.  However, with this latest email by Mr. LaGreca I cannot hold my tongue any longer.  As a Christian, and as a museum professional, I am deeply disturbed and angry by the hateful speech that has been used during this thread.  Every religion has it's own creation story, and it should be respected.  Should we be forced to take one view as "gospel" (pardon the word choice) - of course not.  But to dismiss, and look down upon, someone else's views because of your personal beliefs (and that goes for whatever side you are on or belief you may hold) is not right either.  Furthermore, to regard them as "jokers", on a professional forum, is degrading.  And I direct my words not only at Mr. LaGreca, but at all who have participated.  I feel your speech is no better than the conservatives you rally against. (For the record, before anyone formulates an opinion of my motives,
I happen to be a liberal.)  We all have a right to our own personal beliefs.  We also have a right to disagree with each other.  However I feel it can be done in a respectful manner without name calling.

--
Laboratory for Environmental Biology, Centennial Museum
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX  79968-0915