Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 1994 12:58:02 -0400
         Institutional Studies

As part of this office's broad responsibilities, we try to keep
informed about general trends in the museum community and regularly
update our files.  It has now been several years since we collected
information about the general topic of admission fees, changes in
fees, and voluntary contributions from visitors.  Does anyone have
documentation or data about the impact on visitorship and reactions
to (a) shifting from "free" to "paid" admission; or (b) raising
the cost of admission?  Does anyone have any documentation or data
about the net profits accruing to a museum from collecting voluntary
contributions (e.g. boxes at exits or other devices for collecting
contributions)? [We would also be interested in the "cost" of
collecting fees or voluntary contributions (i.e., the difference
between gross and net).  Many thanks!

Institutional Studies Office
Smithsonian Institution
202-786-2232 Fax: 202-786-2648