From:
Cheryl Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:13:47 -0500
Hello all,

Lately I have been researching Gallery and Museum spaces for a proposed
construction project, and I read that a Museum/Gallery should devote "40%
of space to exhibitions, 40% to storage and 20% to administrative offices,
etc."  The author did not explain this figure.

This raises 3 questions:
1) Is this the current thinking?
2) Where would education/classroom space fit in?  I assume in the 20%, but
that seems inadequate to me.  In a 6000 square foot building, that would
translate to 2400 each for exhibition space and storage space, and 1200
for admin and education.
3) Would the prep area be included in the storage figure?

A fourth question, unrelated to square footage, involves dedicated storage
space versus shared space.  The architect wants up to include our painting
storage (rolling racks) and our print files in the same room as the prep
area and student worker area.  I feel this is a bad idea because, without
a lockable room of its own the works will be exposed to risks from too
many areas (security, dust and other environmental hazards, light, etc.)
Would any of you advocate for a large room that encompasses storage of all
2-d works, preparatory and study area, student worker and intern stations
and Gallery archives?  Call me a nervous Nelly, but I just don't like the
idea...

Thank you so much in advance.

Best,
Cheryl