From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:40:53 -0600
Hi Janelle et al.,

In reference to your last message (below), I'd never say idealism is bad.  I,
too, have idealistic goals.  The challenge is to find realistic methods to
achieve idealistic goals.

School children -- in those states that take seriously the inclusion of art in
education -- can visit art museums and learn the basics of looking at art.
Someday, we hope, they will become adults capable of seeing.  (Significant
difference between "looking" and "seeing.")  However, realistically, what
happens to adults who were denied such lessons while in grade school?  Aren't
we trying to include those who cannot look and see without guidance?  (There
will always be people who fit this description.)  That's one reason why art
museums have labels.

Another reason: Art museums have a responsibility to present artwork in
historical context.  For this reason, lables and signage that includes
artists' statements, biographical details AND interpretive texts (based upon
verifiable research) belongs in art museums.

So, even if a visitor can look and see, do we not hope they strive for
understanding?  (This is a leap from pure perception to application and
abstraction.)  A visitor standing before a "Neoplastic" painting by Piet
Mondrian can look and (hopefully) see the interrelationship of black lines and
primary colors on a white canvas.  If a visitor wants to limit his/her
experience to looking and seeing, that's fine.  But underlying Piet Mondrian's
paintings is a complex web of philosophical ideals - originating in
Neoplatonism and Anthroposophy/Theosophy.  So, art museums should have further
resources (labels and signage) easily accessible to those who want more, for
those who wish also to understand the artist's intention (if/when it is
known).

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Assistant Curator of Education
Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art
Utah State University (Logan)
t 435-797-0165
f 435-797-3423
e [log in to unmask]
www.artmuseum.usu.edu

Education costs money, but then so does ignorance.
Sir Claus Moser (b. 1922)