From:
Greg Scheib <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 09:32:06 -0400
Just a note about the Anasazi --  When they were living throughout the
4-Corners region (up to about 1300 AD, I think) there were no horses in
North America.

Horses evolved in North America, but became extinct at the end of the last
Ice Age about 10,000 YBP.  The horse didn't appear in North America again
until the Spanish brought them in the 1500's.

Greg

At 07:51 PM 6/9/97 -0400, Sophia C Vackimes wrote:
>I need help on a research project which includes seeking information about
>two different sports.
>***One an Eastern Asian which involves several
>horsemen pulling a beheaded calf out of the ground and competing for
>its possesion.
>***And another type is a single horseman running his horse
>to pull out a chicken out of the ground, this is reported for Mexican
>charros  and the Southern United States.

>The data I have shows some activity of this sort among Mongol tribes,
>Turkmenistan, all the way to the Anasazi and perhaps s outhern Mexico,
>Tzoltil Indians.
>Any help on such subjects will be deeply appreciated.
>Sophia Vackimes, New York City.  U.S.A.

Gregory Scheib
Columbus Center's
Hall of Exploration