From:
"Lorraine E. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:26:10 -0500
Pardon the double posting on Museum-L and Museum-Ed.  My thanks to all of
you who took the time to reply to my question about passport programs.
I'm sorry I haven't been able to thank each of you individually.   I have
so much information that I will send it over the next few days in 3 pieces
so as not to clog the system too badly.  Now I have my work cut out for me
as I track down all of these great leads.

This isn't acutally a summary but a compilation:

From: [log in to unmask] (John A. Bing)               Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999

Beginning last year, the art organizations of Laguna Beach CA. cooperated
in a one day passport/ticket which allowed buyers admission to the Festival
of Art, to the Laguna Art Museum, The Sawdust Festival and the Art-A-Fair
grounds plus rides on the city's bus which connected these facilities. It
was only used during the Festival period which runs from early July to end
August every year. I believe the price for a ticket was $15 which
represented a 20 to 25% discount over the individual tickets. Tickets were
sold at all of the art places plus the visitors bureau and the Chamber of
Commerce and the net proceeds split with the participants. Everyone I have
spoken with agree it is a good thing, if for no other reason than the fact
that Laguna in the summer is a parking nightmare. So people can now park at
the city outskirts, get on the bus and still get to see all of the things
that make this such a great art colony. They even get to see the ocean
which is just a hundred yards from the museum.
------------
From: [log in to unmask]                Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999

The City of Paris has a great program.
------------
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999          From: Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>

There is a very successful nationwide "Museum Pass" covering hundreds of
museums in The Netherlands.

Patrick Boylan
------------
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999          From: bridget kathleen rody nowlin

You might want to look at the Balboa Park system in San Diego, CA. They
have a Passport through which patrons can go to all organizations in the
park,except the zoo. It is not set up by any one museum, but by the Balboa
Park Organization.

Bridget Nowlin, Museology Graduate Student, University of Washington
------------
From: "Darlene Martin" <[log in to unmask]>                Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999

I am a college student who also works part-time in the admissions
department at the San Diego Natural History Museum in Balboa Park. I wanted
to let you know that Balboa Park offers what is called a "Passport to
Balboa Park", a multi-ticket booklet which gives visitors the opportunity
to see all of the museums and other attractions within the park for a
single price. The passport is available at the Visitor's Information Center
as well as at the participating museums and institutions in the park.
Although I do not possess the knowledge of how the passport is produced or
organized, more information about it can be found at
http://balboapark.org/index.html/passport.html. Unfortunately, a way to
e-mail the Visitor's Information Center personnel regarding this matter
does not appear to be available at this website, but their phone number and
address is given, which are: (619) 239-0512, 1549 El Prado, Balboa Park,
San Diego, CA 92101. I wish that this information could be more specific
but I hope that it helps!
------------
 Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999                 From: Laura Quackenbush

We have talked about doing that within the Northwest Michigan Historical
Network which is mostly small, seasonal rural museums. It is still on our
docket. We intend to find corporate sponsorship. I also remember that the
Museums of New Mexico did a similar project, and as I remember it was a
sucess.

A passport concept was was used to promote tourist sites in the Upper
Peninsula of Michigan and was too popular (the prize for a completed
passport was a weekend for a family at a resort, I think.) They had to pull
the promotion. I don't know who sponsored it but Phil Alexander, MSU
Cooperative Ext. Agent for tourism might remember--his email: "Alexander,
Phil"<[log in to unmask]> This is somewhat vague, but it might point you
in a productive direction. I will be interested in what you find out.

Laura Quackenbush, Curator, Leelanau Historical Museum ,
http://www.leelanau.com/leemuse/      203 E. Cedar St. - PO Box 246 -
Leland, MI 49654 - 616-256-7475
------------
From: "Rogers Historical Museum" <[log in to unmask]>              Date: Tue,

I was in charge of a "Passport" program in May 1996 for the member museums
of the Northwest Arkansas Museums Consortium. Note that we're a small
organization in a *relatively* small area of the country.

>Please tell me how this was organized -- how you determined which sites
were to be included

For us it was simply a matter of whoever was involved in the organization.
At the time that included 12 of us, and that was a mix of museum types...
primarily historical, but also natural history, air museum, historic house,
and a corporate museum.

>whether you shared the costs or found outside funding

Both. Each museum put in a set amount, staggered from $25 for small museums
to $200 for large museums, garnering us a base amount of $850. That was
used for copying the passports ($234), 5 newspaper ads ($606.... and three
were offered gratis by one - the largest area- newspaper), copying flyers
and info sheets ($6) and phone calls and media mailings ($4). Along with
that, each museum donated (orgot an area merchant/chamber of commerce to
donate) a small prize for secondary winners. The grand prize, a trip for
two to St. Louis, including round-trip airfare and two nights' lodging, was
donated by two local travel agencies and TWExpress (the local TWA
affiliate). We also received gratis tickets and promotional materials from
the major St. Louis museums.

>most importantly, whether the project improved attendance at the
>participating sites.

We did an evaluation with each participating museum after the promotion.
Only 6 (one-half) of the museums ever responded. Of those, 4 said the
promotion brought in additional visitors, 1 said they were unsure (they had
an increase during the promotion, but not sure it was attributable), and 1
said no. No one thought it was an overwhelming success, and almost everyone
thought we needed to start earlier, do better PR on it, and consider doing
it during the summer. (We had done it in May as a tie-in to International
Museum Day and Arkansas' Cultural Heritage Month.)

Allyn Lord, Assistant Director, Rogers Historical Museum, 322 South Second
St., Rogers, AR 72756, 501/621-1154; fax 501/621-1155,
------------
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:23:47 -0400           From: Centre County
Historical Society <[log in to unmask]>

They are not on this list, so they wouldn't see the message, but the Blair
County Historical Society (Altoona, PA) did something like this. Contact
Tim Van Scoyoc, Acting Director, Blair County Historical Society, PO Box
1083, Altoona, PA 16603, (814) 942-3916

Good luck!              Sara Kelley
------------
 From: "Wiener, Wendy" <[log in to unmask]>                Date: Wed,
I was checking out the Drayton Hall web page earlier this week, and noticed
they had a passport system with other Charleston area attractions. I
believe their web page is www.draytonhall.org <http://www.draytonhall.org>
. They should be able to tell you about the program.

Wendy Wiener, Curatorial Assistant,  The Octagon, The museum of the
American Architectural Foundation Washington, DC
---------

Part II to follow tomorrow.

Regards,

Lorraine E. Weiss, Education Director
Rensselaer County Historical Society, Troy, NY,  [log in to unmask]
Visit us at http://www.rchsonline.org

Museum-L" (without the quotes).