From:
cogswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:50:17 -0500
>I realize this question could have endless answers, but I had to ask the
>experts!  My husband & I will be spending a week in the City (for New
>Years!), and then we have another week to travel around.  Besides the
>OBVIOUS choices (Met, MOMA, etc.), what "hidden treasures" of the city are
>on your "don't miss" list?

Come on out to Queens and visit the Louis Armstrong Archives, home to Louis's
vast personal collection of 5,000 photos, 85 scrapbooks, 650 home-recorded
tapes, 5 gold-plated trumpets, and much more.  We are located in the library
on the Queens College campus, so we will be closed on the 30 and 31st of
December, and on New Year's Day.  We will reopen on 2 January 2003. More about
us at www.satchmo.net.

Queens is a great borough that more and more tourists are discovering.  Yes,
spend your first several days visiting the Empire State Building, the Met,
Ground Zero (which is now a tourist attraction), etc.  But then come to
Queens. Queens is the most ethnically diverse county in the nation--more than
90 languages spoken here daily.  Eat Greek food in Astoria, Indian food in
Jackson Heights, Korean food in Flushing, visit MoMAQNS, visit the Louis
Armstrong Archives, visit the Isamu Noguchi Sculpture Garden, take the Queens
Jazz Trail on Saturday, etc.

Michael

Michael Cogswell
Director