From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 09:52:37 -0700
Ah...another subject line that starts with 'virtual exhibit'.  What the
heck is a virtual exhibit anyway?

I would like to announce the advent of our biggest 'on-line exhibition' to date.

Cats!  Wild to Mild, the Web Site
http://www.nhm.org/cats

In March of this year, the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
launched its newest traveling exhibit, "Cats!  Wild to Mild".  The exhibit
will tour the country for the next 5-10 years, providing information on
felines.  Topics range from conservation of endangered species to caring
for your own favorite feline-the domestic cat.  The exhibit was funded by
the National Science Foundation and Friskies PetCare Company, with the
additional support of Jaguar Cars North America.

We have converted the entire exhibit into a web presentation.  We have
expanded upon some topics and added some new material not found in the
traveling exhibit.  In addition to the educational presentation, we have
included our entire teacher's curriculum, a bibliography and biographies of
people who have made careers out of working with cats.

So why see the real exhibit?  Nothing can compare with standing eye to eye
with actual mounted specimens of exotic cats rarely seen, even in zoos.
Nothing can compare with the experience of sharing the exhibit with friends
or family, surrounded by the excited cries of children discovering the
material for themselves.

So why see the on-line exhibit?  We are committed to education.  The
on-line exhibit allows us to reach people who would not have the
opportunity to visit the real exhibition.  The on-line exhibit allows
teachers, educators and students to examine the material at their own pace
in their own homes and schools.  Finally, we believe that a great on-line
experience is the best advertisement for the traveling exhibit (see the
on-line exhibit, then bring the real exhibit to your town...).

This on-line exhibition replaces an earlier version which served as a place
holder.  If you visited us in the past, please visit again.

On a different note, I had the opportunity to work with Randi Korn and
Associates, a top notch exhibit evaluation team, on the web site.  They
made a number of very helpful suggestions which led to modifications of the
web site.  I would like to extend a special invitation to educators to
visit the site and send us your comments.  On-line exhibitions are a new
thing and I am extremely interested in finding out what seems to work and
what doesn't.

As you can probably tell from the tone of this message, we are extremely
proud of the exhibition and welcome your attendance.

Jim Angus

Jim Angus
New Media
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

http://www.nhm.org

voice:  213/763-3245
fax:    213/746-2999
eMail:  [log in to unmask] = [log in to unmask]