From:
christine droll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 03:01:20 -0000
"Dancing on the New Frontier" is the title for the 1997 Midwest Museums
Conference that will take place in Kansas City, MO, September 24-27, 1997.

The 1997 program will explore our ability to think beyond the traditional so as
to better navigate the new frontier.  How do we dance--move with energy,
innovation, and joy--into unfamiliar, new territory and embrace opportunities
and change?  Who are we partnering with?  How are we adapting as museums to an
accelerated rate of change?  How are we managing as individuals?  The
incorporation of new strategies is an adventure, causing institutions to
maneuver in ambiguous, non-predictable ways while still being held accountable
for results.

This conference is an opportunity for those institutions and individuals who
have "made it through the swamp" to assist us as we make our way on the new
frontier.  We are especially concerned with issues of motivating staff,
economic sustainability, public service accountability, and decisions regarding
information technology.

MMC members have expressed the need for a balance between a structured learning
environment and informal networking.  Please join us in providing creative
solutions to our profession's most critical issues.  We look forward to your
input and innovative ways of thinking that will swing us onto the new frontier.

To receive a session proposal form, mail or fax your request to Cindy Cart, MMC
Program Chair, The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, 4525 Oak Street, Kansas City,
MO  64111-1873, 816/561-7154.  Deadline for proposals is January 3, 1997.