From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:36:13 -0400
Though it is simplistic, tourism folks often use a multiplier of seven to
calculate economic impact.  If a museum or other attraction "takes in" from
its visitors $200,000, and receives grants and gifts for another $800,000,
that equals $1 million and this "new" one million in the local economy
actually adds $7 million.  The multiplier is based on the fact that the
money circulates in the community from hand to hand.  If visitors are
staying overnight in the community, you can add $100 per person to the
$200,000, that hundred being spent in meals, lodging, services, shopping,
etc.  So if you have 20,000 visitors a year, all staying at least one night,
spending $10 each at your museum and an estimated $100 in the community,
that's actually $2,200,000 plus $800,000 in grants & gifts -- equaling $3
million times seven, or $21,000,000 total economic impact.

I am not into statistics, but this is how it works.  By the way, the $100
per person is a regional variable - lower in the Appalachians and higher in
New England, and certainly much higher west of the Rockies.  Your state's
tourism department should have data on the average daily expenditure per
tourist in Colorado.

Ross Weeks Jr.